Publication: Pentagon Press
Employment of Space technologies for advancing the nation's social, scientific and economic interests is gaining increasing importance in the 21st century. At the same time Space security, which includes the security of Space assets and the ability to use Space for civilian and security purposes, is also attracting increasing attention. During the last few decades the number of states investing in satellite technologies has grown. Today, satellite technology is providing a wide array of services from mobile telephony to global navigation to disaster management. The Armed Forces in various parts of the world have also begun to rely increasingly on Space technologies. Particularly the 1991 Gulf War and subsequent military campaigns in various parts of the world have demonstrated the significance of Space technologies for militaries. With the growing reliance of Armed Forces on Space technology, the concern about security of Space assets is increasing. These concerns have been further fuelled by the anti-satellite (ASAT) test undertaken by China in 2007. As a Space-faring nation it is important for India to constantly monitor the rapidly changing global Space order. This book is an attempt to analyse the ongoing trends in the Space domain and emphasis the need for India to establish a comprehensive Space strategy.
Dr Arvind Gupta, who belongs to the Indian Foreign Service, is an Additional Secretary to the Government of India. He is presently on deputation from the Ministry of External Affairs to the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), New Delhi where he holds the Lal Bahadur Shastri Chair in Strategic and Defence Studies.
Prof Amitav Mallik was founder director of Laser Science and Technology (LASTEC), New Delhi. He has served as a member National Security Advisory Board (NSAB). He was awarded 'Padma-Shri' by the President of India for contribution to defence research.
Wg Cdr Ajey Lele is a Research Fellow with the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), New Delhi.
International Space Security Environment
1. Space Security Environment: Technology Impact and International Concerns
-- Amitav Mallik
2. An Overview of Chinese Space Policies and Programmes
-- Arun Sahgal
3. The Space Policy of the United States
-- C V Sastry
Legal Environment and Disarmament Issues
4. International Space Law: Future Outlook
-- Ranjana Kaul
5. India, CD and Space Security
-- Rajeswari Pillai Rajagopalan
6. The Prospect of Weaponisation of Outer Space
-- Arjun Subramaniam
7. Emerging Space Technologies—Their Impact on National Security
-- Rajaram Nagappa
8. ASAT and Missile Defence: The Technological Overlap and its Strategic Dimensions
-- A. Vinod Kumar
9. Threat to Indian Space Assets
-- Deepak Sharma
10. India and ASAT Capability
-- Arvind Kumar
11. Need for a Space Security Policy for India
-- Arvind Gupta
12. Space Security: Challenges and Assessment
13. Organisational Architecture: India
Please email us at publication [at] idsa.in or call +91-11-2671 7983 (Ext. 7322)