Dastgeer Sahab shrine gutted in Srinagar; Kashmir shuts in mourning; Normalcy returns in the valley; Militant killed and a soldier injured in an encounter
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Email
  • Whatsapp
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • In a tragic development, according to reports, the revered two centuries old shrine of Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jeelani (RA) popularly known as Gaus-ul-Azam Dastgeer Sahab (RA) was gutted in a mysterious fire incident on early June 25, 2012 morning in Khanyar area of old Srinagar, plunging the Valleyites into anguish and grief. Soon after this incident, the authorities deployed police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) on almost all roads of Srinagar to thwart any attempt of protests. Police and CRPF were witnessed carrying out frisking of bikers at many places in Srinagar. Life in Srinagar’s commercial hub Lal Chowk was also affected due to partial shutdown to mourn the fire incident. The traffic was also thick on the roads in Lal Chowk and commuters were seen uncomfortable. Despite heavy deployment of forces, clashes broke out between angry people and police resulting at various places across the valley resulting in injuries to scores of persons including some cops. 1

    Meanwhile, reports noted that life across Kashmir valley came to a grinding halt on June 26, 2012, as people observed a complete shutdown to mourn the gutting of shrine of Peer Dastgeer Sahab (RA) at Khanyar. Undeclared curfew was imposed in old city here to thwart protest demonstrations. The strike was called by several separatist groups, including both factions of Hurriyat Conference and Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Mufti Bashir-ud-din, who has also appealed people to assemble at Dastgeer Sahab Shrine. 2

    However, reports noted that after five days of complete shutdown and curfew in old Srinagar following the gutting of the shrine of Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jeelani (RA) at Khanyar, life returned to normal in Kashmir valley. Shops, other businesses, educational institutions and public transport started normally in the morning as authorities lifted curfew from six police stations of Srinagar. The roads and markets of Srinagar and other parts of the Valley bustled with activity as private and public transport plied after five days. 3

    In other developments, according to reports, an unidentified militant was killed and a solider was injured in an encounter in Handwara area of Kupwara district in North Kashmir. On specific information about the presence of militants in Boban forest in Zachaldara, an operation was launched by 21 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) and Special Operation Group (SOG) of J&K police during the intervening night. 4