IDSA invites applications for Visiting Fellowships from
- researchers working in well-known international think tanks, policy research institutes and universities with a minimum experience of three years, and
- doctoral candidates in universities.
The duration of Visiting Fellowships would be three to six months. In exceptional cases, the term of Fellowship could be extended.
Areas of Research
Researchers specialising in any one of the following areas would be preferred:
Area Studies - South Asia, East Asia, West Asia, Russia, USA, Africa.
Thematic Studies - Terrorism, Nuclear Issues, Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), Non-Traditional Threats, Energy Security, Defence Economics and Management, Defence Industry.
Note: The Institute would be willing to consider research proposals on any relevant theme having a bearing on national, regional or international security.
- Fellows must be affiliated to IDSA full-time during the course of the Fellowship.
- Fellows are expected to write an original research paper (4000-6000 words) and present the paper as part of the IDSA's Fellows' Seminar. The paper is then reviewed for publication in the Institute's peer-reviewed journal Strategic Analysis.
- Fellows are also required to write commentaries for online publication on the IDSA website.
- Fellows are expected to participate in IDSA discussions, seminars, presentations and any other relevant events.
- The duration of Visiting Fellowships would be three to six months. In exceptional cases, the term of Fellowship could be extended.
Facilities to be Provided
IDSA will offer the Visiting Fellows residential facilities, office space and access to the Institute's information services.
There is a limited number of residential on campus accommodation provided to Visiting Fellows during the period of their fellowship (subject to availability and usually restricted for a period of three months).
The Electricity/Energy charges will be charged on actual consumption basis. Visiting Fellows are required to deposit Rs 5000 as security amount.
Mode of Application
- Applications on plain paper should carry a 800-word Research Proposal, to be completed during residence at IDSA.
- A 500-word Statement of Purpose and Intent explaining how this Fellowship will benefit the scholar. The Statement of Purpose should clearly state the intended duration and starting date of fellowship.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae
- Two published papers as writing sample
- Two letters of reference (professional/academic)
- Candidates would require a research visa for the duration of the Visiting Fellowship. If accepted IDSA will provide a letter of affiliation to enable this process. To avoid any inconvenience candidates are requested to get in touch with the Indian consulate in their host countries to get more information about the process and time line.
Completed applications are to be mailed or emailed at least 3 months prior to intended date of joining to:
Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses
1, Development Enclave, (near USI), Delhi Cantt
New Delhi 110 010
Please copy all correspondence to the IDSA Visiting Fellowship Program Coordinator, Gp Capt Krishnappa Venkatshamy, at firstname.lastname@example.org