Assumed charge as Director General, IDSA on 5th January, 2012.
Belongs to the Indian Foreign Service, 1979 batch. Currently holds the rank of Additional Secretary to the Government of India. He is on deputation to the IDSA. Has worked in MEA in different capacities and served in diplomatic missions in Moscow, London and Ankara.
Held the Lal Bahadur Shastri Chair on National Security at the IDSA from 2008 to 2011.
Prior to joining the IDSA, he was Joint Secretary at the National Security Council Secretariat from 1999 to 2007. During his tenure at the NSCS he dealt with a wide range of international and national security issues and participated in the various working groups and task forces set up by the NSC. He also worked with the Kargil Review Committee.
At the IDSA he headed the South Asia and Internal Security Clusters and edits the Institute’s flagship bi-monthly journal: Strategic Analysis.
His current interests include the impact of globalization on India’s security, foreign policy, diplomatic challenges before India; energy security, climate change, India’s neighbours, internal security and technology & security issues.
He has three books, several edited books and a number of academic publications to his credit. He has been a member of several task forces on issues such as space security, climate change, cyber security, nuclear disarmament etc.
- Dictionary Of New Scientific And Technical Terms, Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Limited, 1997
- At The Cutting Edge, New Age International Pub. (P) Limited, 1996.
Chapter in Books
- “South Asia in India’s National Security Strategy”, Grand Strategy for India 2020 and Beyond, Pentagon Security International, 2012.
- “Trends in Indian Foreign Policy”, Four Decades of India Bangladesh Relations: Historical Imperatives and Future Direction, 2012.
- “Need for a Space Security Policy for India”, Space Security: Need for Global Convergence, 2012.
- “India’s Experience in Dealing with Terrorism” The Terror Challenge In South Asia and Prospect of Regional Cooperation, 2011.
- “South Asia in the Next Decade: A Futuristic Perspective”, South Asia: Envisioning a Regional Future, 2010
- “Emerging Trends in Afghanistan and Pakistan: Implications for Regional Security”, India-Russia Strategic Partnership: Common Perspectives, 2010.
- “Climate Change and Security: Exploring the Link”, Security Implications of Climate Change for India, 2009.
- “Reshaping India-Iran Relations: The Way Ahead” International and Regional Security Dynamics: Indian and Iranian Perspectives, 2009.
- “Crisis in the NPT, Counter-Proliferation Regimes and India’s Approach”, India in a Changing Global Nuclear Order, 2009.
Member of Task Force Reports
Articles in Media
- Take cyber attacks seriously, The New Indian Express, April 17, 2013
- Strong ties with Taiwan, The New Indian Express, January 30, 2013
- Trust gap with Colombo, The New Indian Express, December 14, 2012
- Challenges Syria poses, The New Indian Express, October 7, 2012
- India flounders at NAM, The New Indian Express, September 6, 2012
- MEA Role in Energy Security, The New Indian Express, August 2, 2012
- Importance of Arctic Region, The New Indian Express, June 28, 2012
- Bolster ties with Myanmar, The New Indian Express, May 25, 2012.
- Putin’s vision for Russia, The New Indian Express, May 14, 2012.
- Positive vibes with Dhaka, The New Indian Express, April 18, 2012.
- Resource crunch at MEA, The New Indian Express, March 27, 2012.
- India-Israel Relations: A Mutually Beneficial Relationship, The Jeruslam Post, January 9, 2012.
Addresses / Remarks
- Welcome Remarks at the talk by the Chief of the Naval Staff at the IDSA, March 5, 2013
- Welcome remarks at the 15th Asian Security Conference, February 13, 2013
- Welcome remarks at the 9th IDSA-IPIS Dialogue, December 12, 2012
- Inaugural Address at IDSA-PRIO Workshop on Global Governance and Resource Use: The Case of the Arctic, 19 November 2012
- Welcome Address at the 48th Foundation Day of the IDSA, 10 November 2012
- Welcome remarks at 6th South Asia Conference 6th-7th November 2012
- Welcome remarks at Conference on "Security Issues in Latin America: Experience of UNASUR", October 29, 2012
- Opening remarks at Workshop on Kautilya
- Opening remarks at the Seminar "Early Years of Nuclear Cooperation and Non-Proliferation: A Dialogue on Nuclear Historicities"
- Welcome remarks at book release "India’s Neighbourhood Challenges in the Next Two Decades"
- Opening Remarks at the 14th ASC
Papers presentated outside IDSA
- Keynote Address delivered at National Seminar on “Federalism, Foreign Policy and Border States: Dynamics from North East States of India” at Sikkim University, 22-23 March 2013
- Keynote address at the National Seminar on "India’s Non-Traditional Security Challenges" organised by Punjabi University, Patiala, 22nd-23rd February 2013
- Paper presented on "Careers Beyond Academia: Role of Think Tanks" at Annual Convention of Indian Association of International Studies, December 10, 2012
- Key Note Address at Indian Ocean Global Forum 2012, Plenary Session - Indian Ocean Rim Potential for Partnerships, September 25, 2012
- "IDSA and Public Diplomacy", Speech at Conference of Heads of Missions, New Delhi, September 16, 2012
- "Myanmar’s critical role in bolstering India’s Look East Policy", International Conference on Myanmar: Bridging South & Southeast Asia” by Jamia Milia Islamia, January 30, 2012
- "India-Japan Strategic Partnership: Prospects and Challenges", ICRIER Seminar on India Japan Relations, February 28, 2012.
- "Global Security and the Role of Ethics and Values", World Academy of Art and Science, October 2008.